April 19, 2006
All day yesterday I wore these socks that kept falling down. I think this must have inspired a recent elastification of knit goods...
The first victim was a finished sockpal sock.
The sock is a 3x1 rib throughout, then about 1 inch at the cuff is 1x1 rib, worked in solid red yarn. It took like 4 tries to bind off this sock.. I used the tubular cast-off, but it kept turning out not quite right. Then, it seemed like they'd get out of shape very quickly, so added some elastic.
The elastic is actually sold as jewlery cord. Its quasi-clear, and stretchy. I threaded it through one side of every knit stitch. And it does help! Its not too tight... just enough to keep the cuff in shape. If its totally annoying for my sockpal, the elastic is removable.
Then, I figured my knee socks could use the same treatment. They are totally not falling down.
Finally, and the reason I bought the elastic in the first place, my legwarmers. These are one of favorite knit projects, but the only time I tried to wear them, they fell down before I even got to the subway. Shouldn't happen now that they are elastified!