April 03, 2005

Stripey Stripe

A stripey sock is underway.

regia5343_01.jpg

I began this sock a few months ago with these mini toothpick-esque 5-inch Brittany Birch DPNs, but I couldn't get used to their small size. I kept thinking the stitches were going to fall off the ends. So I switched to Crystal Palace DPNs. They're my favorites.

oh, and this tubular cast-on not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? so lovely.

regia5343_02.jpg

It took 3 tries to get the cast-on right. Its a modified version of the one in KBFT. Since its worked it in the round, I had to reverse the knits and purls in the last row of the cast on. worked out fine.

Why knit socks when they can be bought at the store for like a dollar? because they are challenging, yet soothing, and have great potential to be perfect. not to mention dead comfortable.

Posted by Diana at 10:40 AM | Comments (8)

April 07, 2005

Stripey Progress

One stripey sock down, one half more to go.

regia5343_onedone.jpg

I've been using the stripes in this yarn as a sort of pattern guide. For example, there are 2.5 stripe repeats before the heel starts. It comes out to be about 8 1/2 inches. Then the heel begins exactly with the start of the next stripe. I think I did something similar with the toe. I follow a sock pattern, but kinda tweak it a bit so it works with the stripes.

This way, for the second sock, I can just keep track of the color repeats and not really measure. so convenient! especially for subway knitting, no tape measure necessary.

regia5343_detail_toe.jpg  regia5343_detail_heel.jpg

Posted by Diana at 11:22 AM | Comments (4)

April 11, 2005

Stripey Socks done

One pair of stripey socks, all set for next winter..

regia5343_model.jpg

Yarn: Regia mini-ringel sock yarn, color 5343, 2 skeins
Needle: Size 1 Crystal Palace DPNs
Size: 66 sts at 8sts/inch; worked heel on 34 sts
Pattern: Sorta followed the sock in Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Pattern Modifications: adjusted pattern for optimum stripage - 2.5 stripe repeats before the heel

I used nearly all the yarn from each skein, with less than one repeat remaining from each at the end. They don't exactly match, as I didn't check the yarn before starting. If I had checked both skeins, I could have started both with the yellow stripes. But they are pretty close and they don't have to match anyway..

Heel/Toe Reinforcement:
I did not add any reinforcement thread in these areas. The gauge was pretty tight, so I didn't think it was necessary. Also didn't want to tone down the stripe pattern. Time will tell if this was a bad idea.

Tubular Cast-On:
This was worked at the cuff of each sock for about an inch. It does look lovely, but is kinda tight, and stretches out a bit when worn. It will probably snap back into shape when washed. Overall, the extra effort might not be worth it.

Train Knitting:
Probably 2/3rds of the second sock was worked while on the subway. I estimate I could complete one sock per week if knitting only while commuting.

regia5343_flat.jpg

Posted by Diana at 10:23 AM | Comments (10)