November 10, 2008
Hello, anyone who might still be subscribed to this feed. Hows it going? I am going to start blogging again over here at streets and yos. without making any lofty promises about daily or weekly updates, lets give it a go.. starting with a recent sewing project, recovering my boyfriend's old ikea poang chairs.
For about a year, these two chairs have sat in my living room, looking ok but not stellar. They are two 15-year-old ikea poang chairs, still in great condition but for the covers, which were faded and out of shape. When bf and I combined households, I said, sure, bring the chairs, they are comfy and I can certainly make covers for them.
It took me awhile to get around to them. The redo over at habitual was a great inspiration.
To make these covers, I copied the old ones. I first examined one and took dimensions. Since they are basically a long rectangle, its not too hard. I didn't have enough fabric to do the front and back solidly, so I added some spare ivory fabric to the back.
The back is made up of several pieces with two zippers.
My zipper sewing left something to be desired.. looks okay in this photo, but in real life, no. Luckily noone will ever see this while the chairs are in use. There are two zippers and a couple rows of stitching in between.
The front is actually quilted - it is made up of a sandwich outer fabric, batting, and muslin. I don't have a walking foot for my sewing machine, which is recommended for sewing this sort of thing. So I used spray glue to attach the layers, then sewed the 4 vertical lines while holding the fabric taut. I was amazed that this worked.
With the addition of a fuzzy blanket, its a great cat spot.