August 28, 2005
Baby Norgi is so so close to being done. This little sweater requires a fair amount of care in finishing. There are all sorts of details that must be attended to.
First, I sewed down the sleeve hems. They were the easiest.
Then, I set in the sleeves. This was a little tricky, but not too bad. I consulted Vogue Knitting for the technique.
Next I sewed down the bottom hem. I pinned it all around with safety pins before sewing it. About halfway around, I discovered that picking up only one strand of the CO edge results in a nice, smooth hem. (in the photo below, I believe this is on the left side) There's no noticeable difference from the outside.
I've never done anything with a sleeve facing before. This is about 8 rows of knit stitches at the top of the sleeves. They get sewn down inside the armholes and cover up the cut steeks. Makes the inside look all nice and neat.
And now, all that's left is the neckband. When picking up stitches around the neck, I tried to err on the side of too many stitches rather than not enough. I'd rather have the neckband be a little too big.. to make sure it will fit its someday wearer!